The household of late Head of State, General Sani Abacha, has cried out within the action of Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai in mobilising equipment to clean the site of the demolished Durbar Hotel even though a court order restraining him and government agencies from doing this.
A High Court at Kaduna presided over by Justice Hannatu Balogun on January 21 controlled Governor Nasir El-Rufai and bureaus of the Kaduna State Government from demolishing and taking over of Durbar hotel Plc.
The governor needed in a letter dated December 31, 2019, and addressed Alhaji Mohamed Abacha revoked the Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) belonging to this disputed Durbar Hotel, situated across the Gen. Muhammadu Buhari/Independence Way, Kaduna.
The lawyer to the Abacha’s family, Dr Reuben Atabo, told journalists on Wednesday in Kaduna the Senate is alleged to have concluded plans to flip the hotel property into a public garden and comfortable spot.
He noticed that governor El-Rufai had moved gear to the land and clearing of the site had begun in earnest in the last one week.
“We were amazed to see a Caterpillar clearing the site in the very first week of May till date when Kaduna High Court has fixed May 30, 2021, to rule on the injunction restraining the defendants from interfering with the territory,” the family lawyer said.
Dr Atabo, who was represented by Mr Joshua Rimven in a press briefing at Kaduna, said,”We’re imagining the authorities of Kaduna State to have obtained Caterpillar to the site to clean the location since we have a case involving the demolished Durbar hotel and the Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai as the primary defendant.
“Other defendants would be the Attorney General of the State and Commissioner of Justice, Kaduna State Urban Planning and Development Agency (KASUPDA) and the Kaduna Geographic Information Service (KADGIS).
“There’s already an injunction restraining them from interfering or coming into this land or perform anything on the property after demolishing the area last time.
“There are two matters in the case; there is one at the Supreme court and at the High court before Justice Hannatu Balogun that is about the demolition of the resort.
“The case at the Supreme court is about the Durbar resort itself before it had been demolished; who possesses it between the national authorities and the Abacha family which we won at the Appeal court.
“There is a court order in the High court which none of the parties should interfere with the land. But we’re surprised that we saw people on the ground taking measurements and clearing the land.
“When we asked them they said it was the Kaduna State Commissioner for Works which delivered them to do so.
“To us, this is against the Court Order that not one of the parties must interfere with the property nor do anything about the land.
“But they decided to take the law in their hands. This is very unfortunate. It is the Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai that should be held responsible for this breach of law.
“They removed all of the Caveat Emptor notice placed on the property without the permission of lawful procedure.
“They’ve disobeyed Court Order, it is contempt of court. We’ll petition the Commissioner of authorities to enforce court order”.
When contacted on phone to react to the allegation of contempt, the State Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP), Mr Bayero Dari. Said he wasn’t in a position to respond to this allegation.
But, Mr Adekeye did not respond to calls placed across to him for his answer on the allegation of contempt.