The Nigerian Air Force on Monday said it was investigating a report that it murdered 20 Army personnel by accident in an airstrike at Mainok, Borno State.
The report had emerged that an Air Force fighter jet on a mission against Boko Haram extremists mistakenly murdered men of the Nigerian Army, killing over 20 officers.
The troops were said to have been bolstered by Ngandu village to Mainok, which had been under attack by militants from the Islamic State-backed faction of Boko Haram, the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).
Reacting, NAF in a tweet on Monday said the general public will be duly updated after it concludes its investigation on the incident.
It, however, urged Nigerians to forward their enquirers to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“The attention of this @NigAirForce was drawn to reports alleging”How NAF Killed over 20 Nigerian Army Personnel from Accident in Air Strike,” at Mainok which is roughly 55klm to Maiduguri.
“The NAF wants to state that reports and visuals being circulated are being investigated and also the normally public will be updated on the alleged incident.
“All Writers should be directed to the Office of the Manager of Public Relations and Information, Headquarters Nigerian Air Force or forwarded to email@example.com.”