How to Get Your Tax Identification Number
A tax identification number (TIN) is a unique number issued to businesses, incorporated companies, and individuals in Nigeria and other nations for tax purposes. In Nigeria, the TIN is a unique 10-digit number generated by the Joint Tax Board for the purpose of proper identification, tracking, and ensuring that more people are brought under the tax net.
How do you get your TIN? In this article, I would be teaching you how to get your TIN and the two different types of TIN we have.
In collaboration with the Joint Tax Board, the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) of Nigeria is responsible for the issuance of tax identification numbers to Nigerians and anyone who does business in Nigeria.
The Tax Identification Number is usually issued by the Tax Authority, either online through the Joint Tax Board portal or via a letter to the Federal Inland Revenue Service office closest to your location.
Below is a certificate of tax identification number which would be emailed to you by the Joint Tax Board once your TIN generation process is complete.
Tax Identification Number Example
We have two types of Tax Identification Numbers, namely;
TIN for Individuals
TIN for Non-individuals (i.e for Companies, Businesses, and Organizations)
READ ALSO: Benefits of Early Childhood Education
TIN Registration Process for Individuals
If you have a National Identification Number (NIN) or Bank Verification Number (BVN), you may already have been issued a Tax Identification Number (TIN). Before proceeding to register for a TIN, it is always a good idea check whether or not you already have a TIN.
How to confirm if you have a TIN:
- Check the Joint Tax Board TIN Verification Page.
- Select your date of birth.
- Select your preferred search criteria (BVN, NIN or registered mobile number) from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the digits of the search criteria you selected in the previous step. e.g. if you selected NIN in STEP 3: enter your National Identification Number in the Search Value field below.
- Click the reCAPTCHA box to verify that you are not a robot.
- Click search to get your TIN
- If it says “RECORD NOT FOUND,” you should try using other search criteria. But if despite that, you are still unable to find your TIN, then you can proceed with your TIN registeration to have your TIN generated.
How To Generate TIN for Individuals
As an Individual, you can only apply for TIN by visiting the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) office nearest to you. From my observation, the JTB portal currently only allows you to check if you have an existing TIN.