Naira Marley’s Alleged Cybercrime Trial Adjourned Due To Witness Absence

Naira Marley

Marley’s alleged cybercrime has been postponed until February 16, 2022, according to Justice Nicholas Oweibo.

The trial of Nigerian musician Azeez Fashola, also known as Naira Marley, has been halted due to the absence of Mr. Augustine Anosike, an Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) witness.

The case of Marley’s alleged cybercrime was postponed to February 16, 2022, by Justice Nicholas Oweibo of the Federal High Court in Lagos on Tuesday.

As a second prosecution witness in the case, Anosike, a forensic analyst, is testifying.

Marley, who was detained by the Commission on May 14, 2019, is facing an 11-count accusation of interfering with the investigation.

The defendant committed the charges on several days between November 26, 2018, and December 11, 2018, as well as on May 10, 2019, according to the EFCC.

According to the EFCC, several of the credit cards found in Marley’s home had the phony names Nicole Louise Malyon and Timea Fedorne Tatar on them.

These, according to the FBI, were used to advance internet frauds.

Marley, who is best known for the songs “Soapy” and “Am I a Yahoo Boy,” pled not guilty to the charges and was released on bond on May 20, 2019.

The matter has already gone to trial, and Anosike was slated for cross-examination after completing his examination in chief on October 27.

EFCC lawyer Rotimi Oyedepo declared an appearance for the prosecution yesterday, while Mr. Olalekan Ojo (SAN) appeared for the defendant.

Mr. Oyedepo notified the court that his witness will be unable to testify due to “compassionate reasons.”

He further stated that the witness was in his town and requested a postponement until December 14.

“It is quite regrettable that the  Naira Marley’s alleged cybercrime trial could not progress today,” Mr. Ojo said, “the prosecution ought to have given proper notice of the witness’ absence.”

In the circumstances, Ojo stated that there was nothing he could do. If a similar situation arises, he encouraged the prosecution to ensure that he receives appropriate information sooner.

“I just obtained information of the witness’ absence at approximately 9.30 a.m. while still in the parking lot of the court this morning,” the prosecutor stated, adding that it was not in his nature to waste the court’s time.

The court deferred the trial till the 16th and 17th of February, after the parties’ agreement.

Following activities for the new legal year, the court vacated the former date of December 14 on the grounds that it was no longer accessible for the court.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here